This outfit is what I would consider my winter uniform—exactly what you'd find me in on any given day (as long as there's not snow covering the ground and the temperatures aren't well below freezing). In the winter, I'm all about keeping things cozy and simple since my outfits are covered up by big coats anyway. You can't get much simpler than a black sweater, dark wash skinny jeans, and black ankle boots. ;) To keep it from looking too boring, I added my giant camel blanket scarf which pairs perfectly thanks to the black in the plaid. I definitely see myself repeating this entire look in the future.
I wore this outfit on New Year's Eve and didn't end up going anywhere until later in the evening...and it was so cold out that I decided to layer one of my fuzzy North Face pullovers over this sweater and under my parka. There was also a good amount of snow and ice on the ground at that point (plus, it was downright cold), so I wore snow boots instead of these ankle boots. I should have worn ski pants instead of jeans if I'm being honest (it was seriously cold...like maybe 10°F!).
ITEM #3 — HIGH-RISE SKINNY JEANS
Even though I wish I hadn't worn these jeans out in well-below-freezing temperatures, I am very happy I own such a versatile and flattering pair of skinny jeans. I bought them a couple of years ago during Madewell's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale and they've been well-loved ever since! I love the dark wash that works with literally anything (and seems to "class up" any outfit). The high rise fits me pretty close to perfectly, and they hug my behind in all the right ways (without sagging as the day goes on—the best!). The length is also perfect on me. The only negatives I can think of are the fact that the color seems to rub off on light colored things (such as the inside of my Hunter boots and my white bucket bag) and how the knees get a bit saggy if they're worn a lot between washes. Really, though, I'm nitpicking. I'm obsessed with these jeans! If you're a denim lover like myself and don't yet have a pair, check these similar jeans out:
1) 9" High-Rise Skinny Jeans in Larkspur Wash by Madewell ($135) / Super similar dark wash (I would probably buy these if I didn't already have my pair). 28.5" inseam. Available in regular and tall sizes.
2) High-Rise Ankle Skinny Jeans by Calvin Klein ($70) / Another similar dark wash. 27" inseam. Available in most sizes.
3) High Rise Skinny Jeans by Blank Denim ($88) / Yet another similar dark wash. 10.25" rise, 28.25" inseam. Available in most sizes.
4) Barbara High Waisted Super Skinny Jeans by Hudson ($190) / Dark wash with faded whiskering. 10.25" rise, 28.75" inseam. Available in most sizes.
5) Sculpt Skinny High Rise Ankle Jean by Banana Republic ($98, on sale for $69) / Available in 00, 0, or 14 regular, 12 short, or 8 tall.