Day two of my winter 10x10 happened to fall on my brother's birthday. I wasn't intending to put together an outfit that came across so formal, especially since his birthday was a very casual affair, but that's kind of what happened with this one. (Multiple people commented about how nice I looked, haha.)
Tucking a fitted sweater into a mini skirt is one of my favorite silhouettes. I think I would have liked it better if my skirt was a couple of inches shorter (I think I have an abnormally long waist-to-knee length so even though this skirt hits just below mid-thigh, it feels really long). Still, I like how it came together with the shiny black oxfords and a cozy scarf for added warmth. I ended up wearing regular tights this day because I'm crazy and for some reason thought it was warm enough to go without fleece-lined tights (dumb decision). I did end up wearing my black Sorel snow boots out to breakfast in the morning but changed into these oxfords for evening festivities at my parents' house. I walked through a couple of inches of fresh snow that was dangerously close to falling inside the shoes so I should have probably worn snow boots, but they worked fine indoors. ;)
ITEM #2 — SPECKLED SKIRT
When I was planning my 10x10, I almost immediately knew what pairs of pants I wanted to include. I could have easily picked a third pair, but I decided that I needed to mix things up and pick a skirt. It was more difficult than I thought it would be to pick a skirt; most of mine are thin and light for warm weather, and I didn't want to pick a plain black skirt because that seemed too boring.
I bought this speckled sweater-esque skirt from LOFT a couple of months ago and thought it was an excellent option for this remix challenge. It's not plain black but it's also not a crazy pattern. The speckled black and white almost make the skirt look grey from a distance, so it has more remix potential than it seems. It's also a thicker material which makes it more of a cool-weather skirt. (That said, it does not conceal lumps and bumps very well.) This exact skirt has since sold out but I found a few similar options below that are worth checking out.
1) Cozy drawstring skirt by LOFT ($60) / Casual mini skirt with pockets and a drawstring waist. Polyester, cotton, wool blend.
2) Fleck Rydell Skirt by Superdry ($40, on sale for $20) / Skater skirt with pockets and exposed back zip. Speckled charcoal and white.
3) Tweed skater skirt by Kensie ($69, on sale for $23) / A-line silhouette. Thin plaid pattern in black. Polyester/rayon/spandex blend.
4) Tweed trumpet skirt by Karl Lagerfeld Paris ($100, on sale for $60) / Just above knee length. Black and white tweed. Available in sizes 6 and 10.
5) Column side-slit skirt in speckle by Madewell ($58, on sale for $40) / Pencil skirt with side slits. Navy speckled pattern. Available in size XXS.