I'm wrapping up the first week of my 10x10 strong! To be completely honest, I think this week will have been more exciting than next week... I may have used up all of my favorite outfits on this week, haha. Oh well. I'm planning the final five outfits this weekend so hopefully I still have some creative juices in me given that I'll be wearing the same basic uniform next week, too!
When I was putting together my list of ten items, this vest didn't immediately spring to mind until I was thinking of ways to make my outfits more interesting via layers. I could have chosen only blazers or cardigans but decided to also include this denim vest that I purchased last year. I thought I would have gotten way more wear out of it than I have. We all have those purchases, right? I did all the things you're "supposed" to do before making a new clothing purchase: I thought about the purchase for months before I made it, I thought of at least three outfits I could wear it with (and more, probably), and I didn't already have one so it wasn't a duplicate. Still, I don't reach for it that much. We'll see if this challenge reignites the flame or makes me realize that it's not meant to be...
That all said, I'm happy with the way this outfit turned out. I've got double denim going on, but it's not obvious. ;) (White denim for the win!) The striped top adds some much-needed pattern, and the flats keep the whole look grounded. I love wearing these brown flats with shades of blue as evidenced by this previous outfit. This is perfect for a typical smart casual Friday in the office!
ITEM #5 — DENIM VEST
I waxed poetic about my denim vest above, so I figured I should spotlight it! As I mentioned, I bought this vest from Madewell a year ago because I thought it would become a wardrobe staple. It had all the ingredients but hasn't been as easy to style as I was expecting it to be. Is it too stiff? Too cropped? Not quite the right shade of blue? (The product photos make it look more faded/not as bright blue as it is in person.) Still, I'm determined to give it a fair shot. I purchased it in my usual XS. I would say it fits true to size but if you want it to fit more relaxed, then size up one. Unfortunately, this exact vest is now only available in some sizes, but if you're looking for your own denim vest I rounded up some similar options below! (It wouldn't surprise me if Madewell restocked this vest just because it was also available last year and I've never seen it on sale, so it seems pretty popular. But who knows with retail!)
1) The pocket jean vest by Madewell ($80) / Slightly cropped. Runs true to size but size up if you want a more relaxed fit. Available in limited sizes.
2) Denim vest by J.Crew Factory ($78, on sale for $60) / Similar style with button closure on pockets.
3) Denim vest by Live a Little ($30) / Similar style and wash with button closure on pockets. Available in petite sizes.
4) Boyfriend trucker vest by Bella Dahl ($172, on sale for $52) / Light denim wash. Relaxed fit. Button closure on pockets. Frayed shoulders and hem. Available in limited sizes.
5) Frayed denim vest by Forever 21 ($19) / Light denim wash. Boxy fit. Button closure on pockets. Frayed shoulders. Available in limited sizes.