The time has finally come for my summer 10x10 challenge! Last month, Lee of Style Bee and Caroline of Unfancy hosted a summer 10x10, but I decided to delay mine until this month due to my trip to Florida. If you've been around a while, you probably remember that I did a winter 10x10 challenge back in January. It didn't go quite as I had planned, but that's the fun of this, right? ;) I have a feeling this round won't be very exciting, though...
A 10x10 is exactly how it sounds: you pick ten items to style into ten outfits and wear them over ten days. Typically, everything you wear is included in the ten items except for accessories and jewelry. This would include tops, bottoms, dresses, and shoes. Well, after failing at the shoe portion of my winter 10x10, I decided to not include shoes this time around. Instead, I added some more layering options. Also, because I'm at work the majority of the time now, I've decided to do this with work-appropriate looks!
For this challenge, I picked two sleeveless shirts, one long-sleeved top, one long-sleeved shirt, a light cardigan, a denim vest, a blazer, a pair of jeans, and two pairs of pants. I would have really liked to include a skirt instead of a third pair of pants, but I'm still waiting for the one I ordered from Amour Vert to ship. If it shows up, I may end up swapping it in at some point because otherwise you're going to be seeing the exact same outfit formula ten times!
MY TEN PIECES
1. Tropical print silk shirt by Amour Vert / This adds a fun, summery pattern with some much-needed color, but the base is white so it's easily able to mix-and-match. / Shop similar pattern/exact style, similar by Ann Taylor, similar from Nordstrom Rack, similar by Bobeau, similar by Vince Camuto
2. Sleeveless chambray shirt by Madewell / Chambray is a summer staple for me, and I love this sleeveless option to wear with layers. / Shop: similar by Who What Wear, similar by Mavi Jeans, similar by Bobeau, similar from Saks Off 5th, similar by Buckle
3. Striped lace-up top by LOFT / Because stripes, of course. I also like how it's light and airy to keep me cool in the heat and the lace-up front is a fun detail. / Shop: similar by Forever 21, similar by Joe Fresh, similar by Splendid, similar from Zappos, similar from L.L.Bean
4. Pink gingham shirt by J.Crew Factory / This shirt adds even more pattern and color plus it has long sleeves to keep me comfortable in my chilly office. / Shop: similar by Brooks Brothers, similar from Macy's, similar by J.Crew, similar by Polo Ralph Lauren, similar by Talbots
5. Denim vest by Madewell / A denim vest is the quintessential summer layering piece. / Shop: exact, similar from Nordstrom Rack, similar by Forever 21, similar from Shopbop, similar by J.Crew Factory
6. Grey lightweight cardigan by Madewell / I don't have much in the way of light layers and this is one that needs to be worn more often. / Shop: similar by Old Navy, similar from Sierra Trading Post, similar by H&M, similar from Nordstrom Rack, similar by Pendleton
7. Tan linen blazer by J.Crew Factory / This neutral blazer is one of the newest additions to my wardrobe so it's time to put it to the test. / Shop: exact, similar by J.Crew, similar by Ann Taylor, similar from ASOS, similar by H&M
8. Blue-grey linen pants by LOFT / If you can't wear shorts, loose linen pants in the dead of summer are basically lifesavers. / Shop: similar by Caslon, similar by Mango, similar by Old Navy, similar from Macy's, similar from Nordstrom
9. Army green chino pants by J.Crew / The green adds a bit more color to my primarily white and blue palette and they go with basically everything. / Shop: similar, similar by Old Navy, similar by LOFT, similar by Gap, similar by Talbots
10. White skinny jeans by LOFT / White denim lightens up the bottom half of my outfit while still being as easy to wear as blue denim. / Shop: exact, similar, similar by Old Navy, similar by Hudson, similar by Madewell
I apologize in advance for how predictable my outfits are going to be! Hopefully I can spice them up with the right shoes and accessories! It'll be nice to not be constrained by my shoe options (though because it's summer I don't have to worry about a couple feet of snow ruining my grand plans like I did during my winter 10x10, haha). ;)
As of now, the only item I'm kind of worried about is the denim vest. It's harder to incorporate into outfits that feel like me than I thought it would be. I wanted to challenge myself by including it so hopefully I don't regret that decision. Guess we'll see at the end!
Usually a wardrobe challenge like this corresponds with a shopping ban, but you already know that I'm adding new things to my wardrobe this month... I'd like to do another shopping ban, but that won't happen this month or probably anytime soon. I'm hoping it'll just sort of happen organically (maybe someday I just won't feel like shopping?) and then I won't have to force it upon myself. I think I need to slow down so I don't go overboard with the new "work appropriate" additions, though. Ha.
I'm planning to shoot the outfits in advance and then wear/blog them during the weekdays for the next two weeks. I also want to record them on Insta stories (hopefully I remember), so follow along if you want to see them in action each day!